D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Mon May 15 11:59:26 UTC 2023

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 05:49:42 UTC, ag0aep6g wrote:
> Why is it impossible for you to explain IVY in a forum post?
>
> (...)
>
> I would love to read about IVY. Here. I am not interested in
> personal chats with you.

IVY stands for "Ideal Vision of Yourself". There's an IVY
statement for the vision of the organization, and personal IVY
statements that characterize ambitions of contributors. They take
the form "To become [...] by [...] so that [...]". After
creating/discovering these statements, you assign tasks with them
in mind, so people work on things they are intrinsically
motivated to do (though there will still be "cleaning the
kitchen" work that's not fun for anyone but has to be done).

Honestly, I think Mike has been over-selling it in the
announcement. It gives the impression that everyone who attended
the meetings was enlightened by the mind-blowing 'IVY' method,
while in my experience, some of us have a more wait-and-see
attitude towards it. I am glad that Mike is so enthusiastic about
it, since he is leading the effort, but I think his words come
across as fluffy corporate talk. I think the D community consists
of many people like you, who are not impressed at all by that,
and prefer concise and detailed communication instead.