D Language Foundation Weekly Planning Session Update

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 04:35:51 UTC 2023

On 5/15/23 15:55, WilliamJames wrote:

Earlier you said:

 > If your mind conceives it, it exists only in your mind.

And everything exists in my mind anyway.[1]

 > An alternative perspective, that could be argued, is that the concept of
 > an 'individual self' is more like a disease, and that the way out of it,
 > is to keep as busy as we can thinking of things and of other people, or
 > preoccupied with a constructive passion of some kind.

Since I make everything, that's exactly what I am doing all the time anyway.

 > In this view, the self does not matter. It's just tedious egotism.

However, self is the only entity that produces motivation and motivation
gets things done. That's how I related to IVY.

I've always found motivation a magical thing: I never know when it comes
and how. There has been times where I was very motivated, taking tasks
and running with them. Other times, I am not motivated at all. I know
and research confirms you can't buy motivation, you can't ask someone to
be motivated, etc.

I took IVY to be an attempt at explaining where motivation comes from.
It defines the concept of "ideal vision of yourself". It argues that
every person has a vision of themselves. When their activities align
with that vision, they are motivated and things happen.

A big challenge is discovering that vision of one's self. The same thing
happens with the organization: It has a vision as well and it is
difficult to define. And then there are the "customers". They have a
vision as well.

Like a Venn diagram, the three visions intersect. There are different
outcomes expected at each intersecting area. The best place is at the
center where all three visions are aligned. Then we have happy and
successful people, organization, and customers.

That's what I understood of IVY.

And that ties into goals and tasks. That's how IVY is supposed to help
with organizations. I am confident we will take advantage of IVY.

Ali

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism