Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 14:07:09 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 12:30:43 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> I've finally compiled all of the feedback from the Gripes and
> Wishes campaign into a single document for your perusal. Thanks
> to everyone who sent something to me. If you did send feedback
> and don't see it here, please let me know.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/vision-document/blob/main/gripes-wishes-feedback.md
>
> A few notes:
>
> * I've excluded Bugzilla issues that have since been closed
> * I've tried to include examples and suggestions that were
> provided along with the points, but I have cut out some bits
> that were irrelevant or extraneous.
> * I've not included compliments. I wanted to focus only on
> things we need to fix/change. But the compliments were received
> and much appreciated.
> * There were three pieces that I decided not to breakdown into
> actionable items and included in longform instead. Those are at
> the bottom of the document.
> * I'll probably update this list after our planning meeting
> tomorrow.
>
> So, the next steps related to this. Generally, we need to:
>
> * establish some high-level goals
> * go through this list to see what fits with those goals, what
> doesn't fit now but could be done later, and what is unlikely
> to ever fit any goals
> * discuss additional ideas from our own wish lists (and I'll
> update the document with those once I have them all)
> * prioritize everything we've decided fits our current goals
> * publish categorized task lists
> * work out who among us is responsible for what
> * get things done
>
> That last one is the hard part. I'll have more to say about it
> when the time comes.

It's good to see that this thing from about half a year ago
finally seen some traction. Thank you for your work. But then
again, reading other threads (such as this one
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/lktxmzdcmaagtrswpily@forum.dlang.org) leaves me with about 0 hope that any of this is going to be taken into account. Was this brought up anywhere internally? Was there any discussion? What are the results of the discussion?

Having a list is good, but I'm afraid this will die as a list.