Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

Theo Theo at gmail.com
Thu May 18 23:12:15 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 18 May 2023 at 12:30:43 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

I do not accept the proposition (of some) -> 'no vision, no
motivation'.

Putting that aside....

D has little to no chance of ever having persistent, large-scale
traction.

It simply cannot compete with the other languages out there, in
that arena.

That D could compete with C++ or C# (in terms of wide-spread,
persistent and large-scale use) well... that's absurd.

D's is an experimental language. The should become the ideal
vision of itself.

Once everyone finally realises this, that realization is what
will take D forward.

Taking D forward, will not come about by creating a vision for
persistent, large-scale traction. That is a delusion, created in
peoples minds.

D has also long-needed an experimental branch, to help motivate
ideas, participation, and use. ImportC should have gone straight
into an experimental branch, and no found its way into production
branch until it does what it claims to do (which is still
doesn't!).

If I had been in charge 10 years ago, the above is where my focus
would have been,
and all the other languages (though used far more than D), would
all be looking at D for new ideas.

D also needs (long overdue IMO) a rotating stewardship, like they
have in FreeBSD.

Those stewards have a fixed time to make their mark, and then
others get a change as well.

Instead, stagnation in stewardship is what has come to define the
D programming language.