Building the compiler in 2 seconds with `dmd -i`

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Fri May 19 16:42:45 UTC 2023

On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 10:00:26 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 09:51:39 UTC, Dennis wrote:
>>[...]
>
> I would suggest dropping the build.d file. Its main advantage
> is that you have the same script to compile the code regardless
> of the platform you are running on, however, we are now stuck
> between 2 worlds: dmd has build.d but druntime and phobos use
> makefiles.
>
> Also, build.d is much more complicated and requires more time
> for handling than a measly makefile which anyone can
> understand. Every time I add a new file to the repo I waste
> time to read and understand how build.d works.

Really? I added a completely new build process (PGO), it wasn't
that hard. Adding new file is literally just adding the filename
to a list, no?

>>[...]
>
> Good luck!
>
>> [...]

Not against removing build.d in principle though, just keep in
mind you have to replace 100% of the functionality.

The makefiles were a complete mess and were a block to doing work
on windows due to the ambiguity between digital mars and msvc
make.