Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Fri May 19 18:37:05 UTC 2023

On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 15:58:25 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:

> There are some features that are essential to be able achieve
> the vision D wants to achieve (pay as you go)

I think the problem with the D community is that they are not
bold enough. If you have an idea just do it, don't wait for any
approval from Walter or the maintainers because they are going to
say no anyway or not saying anything at all. If you have made a
PR that is popular, the maintainers have no power to stop it
which will only lead to that D eventually will be forked.

One problem with this is that writing compilers requires
knowledge but if you have the knowledge, don't wait for Walter
(he's busy with importC anyway) or the maintainers. If you are
waiting for some plan, approval whatever, just forget it. Instead
work with the community and the community can sort out what
changes works and which don't.

An analogy is Tesla, that kicked the entire car industry in the
nuts. This was very much needed for the otherwise conservative
and slow moving industry.