Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

Theo Theo at gmail.com
Sat May 20 00:49:09 UTC 2023

On Friday, 19 May 2023 at 19:03:42 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> ..
> Don't sit around waiting for the bull to end up where you want
> it to; grab the bull by its horns and *make* it go where you
> want.

+1

And here is an example (of someone taking the bull by the horn):

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/compare/master...dkorpel:dmd:private-this#diff-8da4a723a20020bf5d1edf1a9f1344eb776c73a0ae35ccee95d3bc24cb0600a7R242

Now, the motivations for the person that did this, was just so
see 'how it could be done', and not necessarily because that
person wanted that feature. Nonetheless, stagnation on a long,
and very fiercly discussed issue, over many years, finally made
some progress.

In the meantime, Walter and Magic Mike just made videos about how
D will never, ever, ever, ever... allow you to have class private
members within a module (like I can do in Swift).

Fortunately, somebody followed the Nike Theory : Just do it!,
and.. dada! It was done!

Now, unfortunately, D has no 'experimental' release, so
programmers who like how this *helps them* better express their
code, never got a chance to use it - and still don't.

It was never a wild, ridiculous concept either. Just the option
to have a private member to a class within a module! I mean...
jezzzz! And soo..... much obstruction, like I've never seen
before, on any issue, ever discussed in the D forums!

All it took for it to happen, was someone to 'Just do it!'.

I cannot recall IVY being a motivating force behind it.

Please, more action, less obstruction, and ... less talk about
ideal visions of oneself.

That's the end of my gripes... for now.