Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

Theo Theo at gmail.com
Sun May 21 23:04:40 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 20 May 2023 at 20:32:02 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> ImportC didn't go through the DIP process because it is not a D
> language feature - it's a compiler feature!

Even for the compiler, a new feature as significant as ImportC -
that can have a profound effect on the 'use' of the language -
should have gone through some process...at least.. before finding
its way into the official source code respository.

Not to mention all the time and attention that has been directed
to it as well, by so many people, including yourself, likely at
the expense of other things. Sure, some would find the feature
useful, I guess, but most people had to direct their attention to
it because it just appeared and had to be dealt with.

'some kind' of approval process should have been followed (in
relation to ImportC).

That seems self-evident to me.

I'm still bewildered why it's not self-evident to you as well.