Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Sun May 28 01:40:50 UTC 2023

On 5/27/23 5:21 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It's CTFE, nobody cares about memory leaks
>
> They do when it starts running very slow and/or runs out of memory

But that's no different from today.

>> We don't run the GC at CTFE either.
>
> Yes, we do.

We do? I at least know it's not the runtime GC that's being run. And I
really did think we aren't running the GC *during* CTFE.

In any case, migrating `malloc` calls to `new` and ignoring `free`
should still be fine in this case.

The thing I didn't think about is the requirement to cast a void pointer
to another type -- the compiler would have to deal with this specially,
or match explicitly the type of mallocs we allow.

-Steve