Feedback from the Gripes and Wishes Campaign

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun May 28 17:09:59 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 28 May 2023 at 07:12:22 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe wrote:

> I never quite liked the reasoning that leaking is fine because
> its just a batch program.
>
> I see teardown as an important part of a program. Relying on
> the OS to do it for you will likely come back to bite you at
> some point.

+1

Not having deterministic teadown of resources is a bit unnerving.
I was never a big fan of the undeterministic deconstructors in D
compared to the more deterministic in C++.

Not solving lifetimes in CTFE is likely to limit its versatility.
This also include proper freeing of resourced in CTFE. For
example if you write to a file and do not close the file in CTFE,
what happens?