x86 intrinsics for sale cheap

Cecil Ward cecil at cecilward.com
Wed May 31 15:56:45 UTC 2023

I have been working on simple wrappers around new(ish) x86
instructions that are not otherwise accessible. Also with
replacement functions in straight D for machines where the
instruction is not available. Currently only for GDC as LDC
doesn’t support some of the features of GCC inline asm that I am
relying on  - named parameters in the asm with %[name] syntax.
But hopefully that will get fixed by the LDC maintainers, so I
will be able to work with either compiler. My routines need more
testing and a vast amount of cleanup. So it’s early days.

Is that something that you would be interested in for the D
runtime library? (For GDC / LDC ?) I unfortunately haven’t
attacked DMD yet because that uses a different inline asm syntax,
and would mean a rewrite. But that isn’t a problem because thr
DMD user gets the pure D replacement anyway due to conditional
compilation.

If you are interested, then let me know. I do need help testing
though and some advice about unit tests.