ImportD3

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Nov 3 18:14:31 UTC 2023

On Friday, November 3, 2023 4:46:12 AM MDT Imperatorn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2023 at 10:19:33 UTC, Mensikovk wrote:
> > What do you think about the idea of ​​implementing D3 like
> > importC. That is, D2 and D3 will have the same AST, modules D2
> > and D3 will be compatible. The only problem is that D3 files
> > must have their own file extension (maybe .mars), or a strange
> > directive at the beginning.
>
> What is D3?

It's nothing at this point.

The current version of the language is D2 (2.105.3 being the latest
release), and whenever discussions on language changes that would be too
large to do in D2 (or which Walter simply doesn't want to do) come up, folks
sometimes talk about there being a D3 where we can then make all of the
breaking changes that we might want to make but can't in D2, because it
would break too much.

We may eventually have a D3, but there are no plans for it. It just keeps
coming up because of folks wanting changes that they can't get in D2, and
they think that they could get them with a D3.

Walter and Atila are looking into adding Editions to the language so that we
can make larger changes in D2 while still letting older code continue to
work as-is, so that may allow more of the types of changes that typically
get lumped into D3, but if anything, it makes the existence of D3 even less
likely. But we'll have to see what actually happens with Editions to see
what kinds of changes will be possible.

- Jonathan M Davis