Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) support in D ecosystem

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 18:03:19 UTC 2023

On Friday, 10 November 2023 at 12:47:56 UTC, Alexander Zaitsev
wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am investigating the Profile-Guided Optimization (PGO) state
> across the ecosystem - all my current results (with a lot of
> benchmarks, PGO-related information, and much more) are
> available at https://github.com/zamazan4ik/awesome-pgo . I am
> interested in PGO state in the D ecosystem too - that's why I
> am here.
>
> [...]

If you search for PGO in the dmd repo you will find that I
implemented a pgo build for the compiler a while ago. I'm not
sure if it's enabled for releases but we use it internally at
Symmetry IIRC.

One thing if note is that GCC has a feature called AutoFDO which
is quite interesting. I think LLVM might have a similar concept
but I'm not sure, but also has a tool called Bolt which does the
same thing only after compilation.