core.stdc.stdatomic

claptrap clap at trap.com
Wed Nov 15 19:53:18 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 14:44:52 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> On 16/11/2023 2:48 AM, claptrap wrote:
>> So im looking for an explanation or a pointer to an algorithm
>> that exhibits what you describe because it is counter to my
>> experience.
>
> By any chance did you use GC based memory management for it?
>
> If you did, that would explain it. GC based memory management
> removes a lot of complexity surrounding removing of elements.

C++ and assembler. I used a MPSC "garbage queue" for freeing
memory, and there were points in the application where I knew it
was safe to empty the queue. So you could maybe see that as "GC
like".

But GC or not doesn't answer the main question, what LF algorithm
depends on a a sequence of instructions being done immediately
after a CAS? How do you ever enforce that on x86?