D is our last hope

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sun Nov 26 20:47:50 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 26 November 2023 at 17:52:24 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> Is there really any other language than D that can replace C++
> and Rust?
>
> Go is good, but very tedious to write.
> Zig, Odin, Beef, V and Jai are not production ready (according
> to the creators themselves).
>
> C# is the only thing is see that could be a serious
> alternative. Forget about Java, Kotlin or whatever.
>
> But other than C#, are there really any serious alternatives?
>
> I don't think Rust is the answer, for many reasons.
>
> Well, maybe Nim would actually be a serious alternative,
> however, I'm kinda used to the C-style.
>
> Any feedback?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have tried several languages
besides C++ and D but have been anything I digested with please.
C++ is on its last legs now as I see it (it will not go away
because of the huge code base but new projects I should certainly
check out other languages and you should too) and D it is almost
the only escape route right now.

This is why it is sometimes to painful to read this forum because
D is a nice language but needs to be continued and adapted,
memory management is one of them for example.

I've tried Nim but it is not better than D. Meta programming with
Nim is more difficult and annoying than meta programming in C++.
The syntax is tedious when you get into some serious programming.

There is one programming language that I like and that is Swift.
Meta programming doesn't exist and generics isn't fully supported
yet. In general though I like the language, it is what Rust
should have been. The problem Swift is developed by Apple for
Apple which means that other platforms are a bit behind. Also the
performance isn't there yet, it is usually behind C++, Rust, D,
Nim etc.