Why do i need to import a freaking module to use int128?

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Mon Nov 27 12:54:39 UTC 2023

On Monday, 27 November 2023 at 12:20:23 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
> Literally the worst idea ever, is this javascript?

This is a new module. Some (quite short) time ago there was even
no any support for i128.
And support of this type is quite new for all languages (not only
for D):
https://forums.swift.org/t/status-check-int128-uint128/67694

And I'm not sure this module should be imported for everyone by
default. If it adds size into binary and some complexity into
internals, while usage of i128 not so common..
So first of all - keep calm, add more technical knowledge,
instead of impulsive ranting.

There is also BigInt which is usually going into a separate
module in many languages.

But I agree that numeric types could be revisited and improved -
probably into one module: Numerics with separate sub-modules
(i128, f16, f8, BigInt, etc).

As I already mentioned in Discord half-float (bad name btw) which
is usually called float16 was ready for merge - but then some
strange comments for PR about process and other bs.. and the code
just became abandoned and forgotten.