bit fields

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 16:14:15 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 8 October 2023 at 15:52:34 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 October 2023 at 08:22:20 UTC, Dmitry Ponyatov
> wrote:
>>> The spec PR was never merged:
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/3190
>>
>> Is any chance that a few years later D will adopt packed
>> union/structured with bit fields, slicing and formatting
>> (Erlang-like maybe) ?
>>
>> I see D can be intensively used in embedded and telecom
>> application, where bit ops is definetely required.
>
> Same

Do you have issues with the earlier alternative?

https://dlang.org/phobos/std_bitmanip.html#bitfields

I use and like this one quite a bit.  The new bitfield variant
*might* be important for C interop?  I'm not in embedded
development at the moment but if I went back there I'd prefer the
original D bitfields for any new development.