ranting and raving about the need for data structures

monkyyy crazymonkyyy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 19:05:43 UTC 2023

chat log from discord
https://imgur.com/a/9RH23Y1 (ocr didnt work)

I'm usually on the discord when I rant and rave about this but
the people who treat data structures as low priority are here.

Can data structures please be a priority? Its "data structures +
algorithms = programs", yet I only really have the basic slice
and maybe aa's if the ctfe stuff works out; while I think there's
lots of room for improvement for std.algorithms its there and 90%
of it has a use.

Hot rolling a custom data structure leads to memory issues; not a
lack of safe or borrow checkers, slices and foreach prevent 99%
of the segfaults I would have; give me good tested abstractions
for memory and my code will be safe due to my laziness; try to
band-aid it with dip 1000 complexity and... well I'll probably
find new exciting ways to break things.

I just want to type `import std;` type out 50 to 100 lines of
code, and have a neat little project and ranges are fantastic for
that, and the more that happens the better; but I often feel
constrained on specifying the data structures part, cause hacking
together an interface for arrays takes like 15 of those
opOpIndexAssign style overloads, and they would probably be
tested and~ you've already blown the 1-day project complexity and
time budget.