ranting and raving about the need for data structures

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 15:14:32 UTC 2023

On Monday, 9 October 2023 at 19:05:43 UTC, monkyyy wrote:
> chat log from discord
> https://imgur.com/a/9RH23Y1 (ocr didnt work)
>
> I'm usually on the discord when I rant and rave about this but
> the people who treat data structures as low priority are here.
>
> Can data structures please be a priority? Its "data structures
> + algorithms = programs", yet I only really have the basic
> slice and maybe aa's if the ctfe stuff works out; while I think
> there's lots of room for improvement for std.algorithms its
> there and 90% of it has a use.
>
> Hot rolling a custom data structure leads to memory issues; not
> a lack of safe or borrow checkers, slices and foreach prevent
> 99% of the segfaults I would have; give me good tested
> abstractions for memory and my code will be safe due to my
> laziness; try to band-aid it with dip 1000 complexity and...
> well I'll probably find new exciting ways to break things.
>
> I just want to type `import std;` type out 50 to 100 lines of
> code, and have a neat little project and ranges are fantastic
> for that, and the more that happens the better; but I often
> feel constrained on specifying the data structures part, cause
> hacking together an interface for arrays takes like 15 of those
> opOpIndexAssign style overloads, and they would probably be
> tested and~ you've already blown the 1-day project complexity
> and time budget.

You might want to be more specific about what data structures you
are looking for being added (and maybe file enhancement requests
asking for them).

I'm fairly sure that std.container doesn't get a lot of attention
because they want to have a better story with respect to DIP 1000
and reference counting.