String Interpolation Compare - DIP1027 and YAIDIP

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Sat Oct 21 07:04:35 UTC 2023

On 21/10/2023 7:57 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> I'd agree that parsing it is a last resort if the { } also fails. But
> having implemented formatted writes, I can attest that parsing it is not
> a big deal. It's scanning till you see the %, then substitute your own
> version. Of course, using { } means the compiler does it for you at
> compile time.

This also means that one formatter doesn't have to know about another
formatters format string syntax.

Like how formattedWrite doesn't need to know about GDateTime.

And yes, I have that working today with the ``{:}`` syntax in my
codebase. Its great.

This is why I do not agree with Adam about his argument against
supporting the format string specifier as part of the language. Having
it in the language means it is all nicely unified.