String Interpolation

Bradley Chatha sealabjaster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 17:10:59 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 16:30:07 UTC, Arafel wrote:
> I also think that interpolated strings should behave like...
> well, strings. Anything else would break the principle of least
> astonishment, and it's not certainly what some people might
> expect, me among them. If you must do it, please just don't
> call it "interpolated **string**".

Agreed. There were advocates for such a thing in the original set
of discussions (including myself), but I can safely say that it's
best to completely give up on such an idea.

There's a lack of desire to make language features rely on the
GC. There also seems to now be regrets that D even has
DRuntime(?), so adding any extra features or reliance on it is an
instant no-go?

Regrettably, -betterC seems to now be the de-facto design pillar
for this feature. While I do understand the arguments on why we
can't just have `string a = i"1 + 1 = ${1 + 1}"` work and we have
to be super special, quirky, and different, it just kinda sucks
overall.