String Interpolation

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 19:09:30 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 25 October 2023 at 18:54:21 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> Send me a link about these things you wrote. I missed them. I
> would like to understand what's wrong with text() syntax sugar.

http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_05_13.html#my-string-interpolation-proposal

(in this one, i came out in favor of an object, but on the fence
for implicit conversion to string, my position is now that the
implicit conversion to string is undesirable, and this weakens
the case of the object over the other alternatives)

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/344e00ee2d6683d61ee019d5ef6c1a0646570093/DIPs/DIP1036.md

(see also the linked review threads from that)

This isn't D specific, even Wikipedia has a page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_interpolation#Security_issues

And newer additions to languages try to do it right:

https://openjdk.org/jeps/430

Note: