String Interpolation

Arafel er.krali at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 09:47:15 UTC 2023

On 27/10/23 11:30, IGotD- wrote:
> I've not been following the string interpolation debate because I'm not
> a big user of string interpolation but this made me wake up. Are you
> seriously proposing a design that cannot convert a string interpolated
> string into a regular string?

Yes, these are the current proposals.

Or at least not directly. You'll need to call a function for that.

So this will work:

```d
writeln(i"Hello, ${name}");
```

But this won't:

```d
string greeting = i"Hello, ${name}";
```

and you will need to do:

```d
string greeting = i"Hello, ${name}".text;
```

Walter's proposal is essentially the same in that regard, only using
`writefln` and `format` instead of `write` and `text`.

Good luck explaining these subtleties to new / casual users.