[SAOC 2023] dfmt rewrite - Weekly update #6

Prajwal S N snp at dlang.org
Fri Oct 27 17:43:32 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Good news - the problem with using `appender!string` with the
`extern (C++)` formatter class is no longer there. I've
refactored the driver code to use a locking writer for both files
and stdout. On a tangent, we've now found out that we cannot use
`ASTBase` to build the AST - it does not store enough
information, and also is missing some essential methods like
`toChars()` that will inevitably be needed for the formatter to
work. I've been working on using `ASTCodegen` instead, which
comes with its own challenges of compiling imports. I hope to get
it working and proceed with implementing a full traversal of the
AST nodes soon.