Future of D

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 29 12:54:33 UTC 2023

We are merging companies and our new product will be integrated
in all our devices.

The test round is 50 devices, just to make sure D really works
(it will be a kind of status-service that checks various
parameters of the device and reports them).

The plan is between 50 thousand (realistic) to 100 thousand
(optimistic) devices each year.

However, we are becoming unsure if D is really an option for us
given the response we got trying to making almost the smallest
change imaginable to phobos (changing a single word).

The product manager (who has a programming background) is very
concerned.

Can we count on that if we find an issue with D that it will be
taken care of? And if so, how, and by whom? That it will not be
silently ignored for years? How can we safeguard against that?

Is the recommended course of action to fork dmd, druntime and
phobos and have a completely parallel version of D, a bit like
Weka? Is that what companies normally do?

What is the recommended approach?

Thanks!

PS. This should not be a discussion about some specific PR etc,
but a general discussion about how companies should view this. DS.