Future of D

Abdulhaq alynch4048 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 18:12:46 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 18:00:13 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 17:29:51 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>>
>> D is great but a business decision to use it should be based
>> on sound principles, not fanboi-isms. For me, if you need to
>> fork D to use it for a business, that's a red flag.
>
> Why? I would rather say that forking a programming language in
> order to tailor it for ones need is a serious commitment.

Yes that's a fair comment. What I mean is that for most
businesses, the choice between D and e.g. C++ is best understood
in terms of risk /reward.

C++ is the low risk option, for a typical business, because it
will still be around in 20 years, it will be well maintained, you
will always be able to find a pool of developers who can maintain
your code, it will link and compile with thousands of industry
standard libraries, frameworks, protocols, hardware platforms.

So D is higher risk in that you may find yourself having to spend
time (and much money) coding up your own libraries and hardware
support. In 10 years time you might struggle to find D
developers. However, the reward with D is that you can achieve
the required functionality, over the next few years, much more
quickly (i.e. more cheaply) than with C++.

So you choose D if you want to code up a well understood set of
algorithms/functionalities on known platforms and you want to do
it quickly/cheaply, and you know that D can provide all that you
need.

You choose C++ for long term support, a huge breadth of
platforms, some of which are future platforms you don't yet know
about, and general maintenance ability over the years.

To finally answer your question, maintaining a compiler/ecosystem
is a significant cost overhead the reduces the rewards of D to
such an extent that it is normally wiser to choose C++.