Future of D

Abdulhaq alynch4048 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 18:36:50 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 18:33:05 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 18:12:46 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
>

> There's a lot of speculation in those two paragraphs. The risk
> with D (using your definition of risk) is non-zero, but not
> much greater than zero. If nobody is using D in ten years,
> which is a very low probability scenario, you can compile the
> existing D codebase and call it from C++ just like you'd call
> any C code.
>
> While C++ will be around in 20 years, the cost of maintaining
> the code could be high enough that it's not worth it. A real
> danger with C++ is that it's not the first choice of new
> developers. In 20 years you might be competing for talent with
> the finance industry. That's a battle few companies are going
> to win.
>
> You're also ignoring everything that takes place from now until
> 2043. Higher cost of code development and maintenance is quite
> a liability to ignore as "not a risk".

Yes it _is_ a lot of speculation, but I think these are the sorts
of issues that need to be considered when making these decisions.
There are so many real variables that it all just amounts to
broad guesses, but better than nothing. And each person will
weigh the factors according to their own experiences.