Future of D

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 18:42:05 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 17:47:33 UTC, Patrick Schluter
wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 21:46:51 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> On Sunday, 29 October 2023 at 21:32:18 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Because it would be wonderful. I could use it to draw a
>> rainbow on the screen.
>
> This attitude won't help you.

Sure, but neither does not trying to understand a basic use case
used by millions in C# already.

It's like asking why would you need printf, just use the debugger.

Sure, but sometimes printf can be kinda useful.

If you're not even *trying* to understand, how does it help
anyone?

In a way it's a kind of "anti-help", since not only was no help
given, but it also reduces the probability anyone with a similar
use case will get help in the future.

If there was a "helpfulness-metric", it would decrease every time
someone would ask a good question and get an "anti-help" answer.

So, over time, fewer questions would get asked, and of course if
that happens it's kinda hard to answer them after a while, since
it would reach zero.

Just because someone doesn't understand a use case doesn't mean
millions of people are idiots, it might mean you simply don't see
the value that those millions of people do, and therefore you
don't understand it.

You just have to ask what is more likely.