Future of D

Imperatorn johan_forsberg_86 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 30 18:56:08 UTC 2023

On Monday, 30 October 2023 at 17:27:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Sometimes, if we knew what problem you're faced with, we can
> find the best solution. Help us help you!

That's good to hear. Since D will be running on at least 50
thousand devices within a year, it's kind of important.

It will be a very small project, that's why I feel confident.
Just some things that are lacking, but no big deal, we can work
around them.

We have compared 20 languages before coming to D, Nim, Go and C++
included. Our analysis showed that even though D is a smaller
language, its learning curve is not steep and if you don't do
weird stuff, the code is comprehensible and maintainable.

I have already put 3 packages on dub just to accomodate some
missing features. dub works well and supports cross-compilation,
which has been very easy to do for us.

Both from x64 Windows to aarch64 Linux and from x64 Linux to x64
Windows.

D is easy to learn, yet powerful, while also being efficient.

For example, take a look at the benchmark I, schveiguy and Sergi
took part in:
https://github.com/jinyus/related_post_gen

We hope that D will continue to flourish and that we will be able
to use it in the future