D Core Guidelines?

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:08:43 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 2 September 2023 at 09:19:04 UTC, slawtul wrote:
> On Friday, 1 September 2023 at 15:46:49 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> D is useful in many domains, and for solo programmers as well
>> as large teams, so it's futile to come up with general
>> guidelines.
>
> Hi, thanks for all replies.
>
> C++ is also used in many domains but Mr. Herb Sutter and Mr.
> Bjarne Stroustrup came to the conclusion that 'Cpp++ core
> guidelines' has a purpose.
>
> Please take a look at introduction:
> https://isocpp.github.io/CppCoreGuidelines/CppCoreGuidelines#S-introduction
>
>> ...The aim is to help C++ programmers to write simpler, more
>> efficient, more maintainable code...

I have read (a former incarnation) of the C++ "core" guidelines
and a subset of the Boost libraries.  Those readings provided
motivation to move on from my C++/CUDA life.  The sheer size and
complexity of even expertly crafted documentation/code sends an
unambiguous message.

D, as you will have noted from the responses so far, appeals to
programmers with widely differing interests and experience.
Additionally I, and I imagine many others, adopt a different
style when writing performance critical library components than I
do when knocking out a command line utility.  You may have better
luck getting what you're looking for if you provide some
anticipated use scenarios.

That said, I don't know of any D document similar to the C++
"core" guidelines but I found this to be helpful early on after
working through some tutorial material:
https://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/

Perhaps as an intermediate goal/product you can contribute a
document that would have met your needs more directly (hopefully
somewhat slimmer than the C++ variant! :-).  The D community is
small but, I've found, quite appreciative of good work.