On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 5 01:11:14 UTC 2023

The offer for Ivy training roughly coincided with this thread:

https://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/D_has_become_unbearable_and_it_needs_to_stop_369162.html

I was skeptical of Ivy, as I've seen a lot of things like it. But I also knew we
needed improvement in how D was managed, so I was willing to give it a try.

The result is pretty obvious, we have changed direction. Ideas for new features
for D have been deferred for the time being. What we're working on instead:

1. we are no longer going to break things just because they are obsolete features

2. obsolete features we removed are being added back in

3. we want to ensure that, as much as practical, old code will compile without
needing modification or modification to their build mechanism (i.e. makefile)

4. we are going to prioritize fixing existing problems

5. we are going to try to assign tasks to our diverse community in ways that
better match up with what people want to do. Personally, I was surprised at how
different peoples' reasons for joining the community are. I just assumed
everyone is just like me :-)

It's perfectly normal for managers to go through some sort of training. I am
certainly not a born leader, as you all know, and can use the help. None of it
is a secret, and we thought it would be nice to share with our community, and at
the very least you all would understand why we were making these changes in
direction.

Everyone is free to use it or not as they see fit.