D Programming: How to Define and Use Custom Attributes

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 14:39:00 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 18:54:26 UTC, Soham Mukherjee
wrote:
> I'm exploring the D programming language and I'm curious about
> custom attributes. How can I define and use custom attributes
> in D to add metadata or behavior to my code?
>
> For example, let's say I want to create a custom attribute
> @MyCustomAttribute that I can apply to functions or types. How
> do I define this attribute, and how can I use it to influence
> the behavior of my D code?
>
> It would be helpful if you could provide code examples and
> explain how custom attributes can be leveraged in practical
> scenarios within D programming. Thank you for your insights!

for an example of what the can be used for, I use them for
attaching metadata to structs describing the values used to query
them from an API and the use that in templates to generate code
that to return those values

https://github.com/libmir/dcompute/blob/master/source/dcompute/driver/ocl/context.d#L20
https://github.com/libmir/dcompute/blob/master/source/dcompute/driver/ocl/util.d#L117