On the panel discussion at Dconf day 3

claptrap clap at trap.com
Sun Sep 10 10:32:52 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 10 September 2023 at 08:57:37 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On Monday, 4 September 2023 at 22:39:53 UTC, claptrap wrote:
>> Seriously you think Ucora were at DConf for publicity?
>>
>> I mean you really think that?
>>
>> You really think Ucora had a meeting and came to the
>> conclusion that training the DLF people for free and sending
>> Saeed (spelling?) to dconf was a cost effective way to reach
>> new customers?
>>
>> ***mind blowing***
>
> Even if that's why they were there I thought it was acceptable
> and within the norms of programming conferences.

They could have just spent the money on youtube ads, reached 10x
as many people and targeted people who actually might be
interested in it.

> My personal view of IVY was more along the lines of mild
> bemusement. If you understand what it is and what it's doing
> then you probably don't need it and find the entire concept to
> be a somewhat overwrought version of "Know thyself". It's a
> tool that has utility to people who've never done anything like
> it before. If it helps DLF, it's no skin off my nose. But  it's
> certainly not a cult.

Tbh the presentation seemed lacking in substance to me. "The
truth about D" was not an accurate name for the talk and there
was no real explanation of how IVY would help D. Thats actually
what people wanted to know, how is IVY going to help D.

I think most people are still non the wiser on that point.