Blazingly 🔥 fast 🚀 memory vulnerabilities, written in 100% safe Rust. 🦀

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Mon Apr 1 14:11:58 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 30 March 2024 at 14:25:42 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Certainly it's unfortunate for Rust that this bug exists, but I
> don't think it makes sense to pass judgement on the overall
> design of Rust's lifetime system based on the existence of an
> implementation bug.

In absence of a language specification, it is hard to judge
whether a flaw is an implementation bug or not. The Hacker News
thread that I linked to has an endless discussion on whether this
one is more fundamental. The problem has been known for nine
years.

> If we were to hold D to the same standard, I do not think it
> would compare favorably.

You may be right.

— Bastiaan.