Garbage Collection for Systems Programmers

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 20:45:25 UTC 2024

On Monday, 1 April 2024 at 01:58:51 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 March 2024 at 14:22:43 UTC, Adam wrote:
> The first question to ask is "Does it matter one way or the
> other?" Since you're probably not writing the Linux kernel,
> even if you're engaged in 'systems programming', the answer is
> quite often no. If the answer is yes, the second question to
> ask is "Does it matter enough?"
>
> I dislike these debates because most of those arguing against
> the GC are insufficiently informed to engage in a worthwhile
> debate. Many of them don't even understand that you can do
> things with a programming language other than write video games.

The discourse around the GC has gotten so ridiculous that I have
seriously considered asking Walter to declare that "If you want
to create an OS or Video Game, consider a different language."

OS/Games is actually a fairly uncommon use of D, if you look at
what the people who aren't whining endlessly about the GC are
actually doing with it.

Personally, I blame the OS/Game crowd for single-handedly keeping
D out of the web service space for the past *decade* because,
instead of improving the GC to the point that long-running
processes are possible, we've built a mountain of (mis)features
designed to assuage their demands. I maintain that this was
probably the second biggest mistake in D's history.

We need to accept a fact that I learned at DConf 2017, the no-GC
crowd will not be silenced until the GC is removed from the
language. However, Walter has said the GC is here to stay.
Therefore, the no-GC crowd will never be silenced. We've given
them a plethora of tools to work without the GC. It is time that
we stopped giving them so much our time. We have bigger problems
to solve.