Garbage Collection for Systems Programmers

Carl Sturtivant sturtivant at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 16:59:14 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 6 April 2024 at 16:28:25 UTC, Sergey wrote:
> So what is the point then you wanted to discuss in this thread?

This is not about what I wanted to discuss in this thread, it's
about what IS being discussed in this thread. Finding strategic
purpose via the future of GC.

On Saturday, 6 April 2024 at 00:29:04 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Chasing no-GC as far as we did was a mistake that cost us
>> precious time and scarce resources. We need to be mature
>> enough to admit that it was a mistake and correct our course.
>> Given the lessons and direction of the industry over the
>> intervening years, I would strongly argue that now is the time
>> to return our focus to the GC.
> [...]
>
> +100.  While there *have* been improvements in our current GC
> over the past years, we're running against a brick wall in
> terms of available GC algorithms, because of the pessimistic
> situation of no write barriers. That closes the door to many of
> the major advancements in GC algorithms over the past decade or
> two. It's time we stop sitting on the fence and commit to a
> GC-centric language that actually has a competitive GC to speak
> of, one on the level of Java or C#'s incremental generational
> GCs.

Let's not confuse requirements with implementation. By muddling
in all the ins-and-outs of implementation difficulty you blur the
wider picture and make things look more pointless. Should
everyone just give up? Your reply suggests that posture.