Garbage Collection for Systems Programmers

tchaloupka chalucha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 11:04:21 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 April 2024 at 10:29:54 UTC, Ogi wrote:
> On Monday, 8 April 2024 at 20:21:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Also don’t use exceptions, don’t use `lazy`, don’t use built-in
> dynamic and associative arrays, ...

Having basic building blocks like Fiber, Thread, Mutex, etc.
implemented as class objects complicate things further..

There is also no tool (that I know of) to help analyze memory
leaks of the GC memory.
Lately, I've spent almost a manweek trying to find the cause of
the leak in a large codebase using vibe-d in a long-running
service that just kept growing on memory. Not fun at all. While I
could be using memory sanitizer tools with malloc managed memory
just fine ;-)