Garbage Collection for Systems Programmers

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 18:53:21 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 April 2024 at 15:31:08 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I honestly don’t find that line of argument very convincing.
> There are no numbers backing up the conclusions, and not even a
> specific application given. We already have experience with the
> status quo and the problems it can cause. There’s no
> justification for ruling out other options based on speculation
> that the performance hit will be unacceptable.

I don't doubt that there are some applications that will benefit
from the types of GC algorithms that are enabled by write
barriers, but I think the burden of proof is on the people
proposing changes. They can create a fork with write barriers and
benchmark some code vs. the normal compiler.

Regardless, if they can create a way to make it completely opt-in
without breaking existing code, then that offsets much of the
concern about performance.