Why?

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Apr 9 19:11:02 UTC 2024

On 10/04/2024 7:04 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 10:22 AM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
>> Address randomization, Windows remapping of symbols at runtime (with
>> state that is kept around so you can do it later), all suggest it
>> isn't like that now.
>
> Code generation has changed to be PIC (Position Independent Code) so
> this is workable.

 From Windows Internals 5 and WinAPI docs, it seems as though it does
memory map initially. But the patching will activate CoW, so in effect
it isn't memory mapped if you need to patch.

Which is quite useful information for me while working with Unicode tables.

If you need to patch? That won't be shared.

If you don't need to patch? Who cares how much ROM is used! Don't be
afraid to use 256kb in a single table. Just don't use pointers... no
matter what and it'll be shared.