Why?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:17:53 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 9 April 2024 at 19:11:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Nobody. I've wanted to do it for decades, just never got around
> to it. What triggered it was my proposal to Adam to split
> Phobos modules into a much more granular structure, which would
> increase the number of files in it by a factor of 5 or more.
> (The current structure is of each module being a grab bag of
> marginally related functions.) A more granular nature would
> hopefully reduce the "every module imports every other module"
> problem Phobos has.

Great.

Now everybody is going to think that I started this.

For the record I did **not** start this.

Walter sent me this idea out of the blue after I pointed out that
working with hundreds (or thousands) of files in Phobos was going
to be just as messy as it is with Java or C#.

This wasn't the problem I was thinking of because frankly, nobody
cares about file access times in C#/Java, but this does have
certain advantages from a distribution standpoint. Although
honestly, we're going to end up unpacking the files for other
tools to use anyways.