DMD Source Archive - Why?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Apr 10 16:54:20 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 16:42:53 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 10 April 2024 at 03:47:30 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Yes, the nice thing is knowing you will not have to ask the
> filesystem for something you know doesn't exist. Pre-loading
> the directory structure could do the same thing, but I think
> that's definitely not as efficient.
>
> [...]

C++ compilers are already on the next level, past PCH, with C++
modules.

VC++ uses a database format for BMI (Binary Module Interface),
has open sourced it, and there are some people trying to champion
it as means to have C++ tooling similar to what Java and .NET
IDEs can do with JVM/CLR metadata.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/open-sourcing-ifc-sdk-for-cpp-modules/