Real D

Chris Piker chris at hoopjump.com
Fri Apr 19 04:05:22 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 13 April 2024 at 18:32:12 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> C is not the best programming language, by a longshot. I would
> hate to write code in C.
>
> It's just that the C ecosystem is *vast*.

C programmer here. I've written thousands of lines of new C code
just this year (new features for a large existing code-base).

For what it's worth, D is the first compiled language to get me
to enthusiastically change languages. I tried a few others first.
C++ boost library errors were just too damn hard to grok, and the
Java was too verbose for me. C# was too Windows centric, and the
associated tool chain was mega-bloated. Go was missing too many
features. Rust was bizarre. In contrast, D is terse, almost a
flexible as python, and not too opinionated, so I selected it as
the best option at the time and haven't looked back.

Anyway, I think the D core developers are doing a lot of things
right and the continual questioning of the core language
philosophy seems like a waste of time to me.  I was able to
accomplish tasks in D in 2023 that I would never have attempted
in C + Python.  I'm able to support a whole space mission's
science ground support architecture pretty much on my own.  D let
me do that.  Other languages probably could have too, but I know
this one did and I appreciate everyone's work in getting D this
far.

Thanks for the tools, they make my job easier.