Real D

ShowMeTheWay ShowMeTheWay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 03:47:08 UTC 2024

On Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:05:22 UTC, Chris Piker wrote:

> Anyway, I think the D core developers are doing a lot of things
> right and the continual questioning of the core language
> philosophy seems like a waste of time to me.....

This so called 'questioning' is inevitable for D, so best to
'make peace' with that.

Thats because D is torn between being a language with 1970's
style manual memory management and its VERY VERY VERY VERY strong
interopability with C, on the one-hand, and on the other - having
21st century style automatic memory management, and an ever
increasing focus on being a 'memory safe' language.

These two approaches are difficult to reconcile, philosophically
;-)

That they can be reconciled technically, at a language and
compiler level, is a bit of a masterpiece really - and btw,
*that* is the 'Real D'.

Trying to reconcile these two very different approaches, comes
with a cost - and that too is the 'Real D'.