collectNoStack should be axed

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Apr 21 21:07:13 UTC 2024

On 4/21/2024 1:01 PM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole wrote:
> I can't even get Walter to agree to have RC in the language (even if it is
> reluctantly), let alone that...

A few years back, we really tried to find a way to do it that was memory safe.
We failed. Timon presented us with a use-after-free case that we couldn't
resolve. Re-orienting D around a memory-unsafe construct is not the future for D.

There's also the problem that the decrement has to be in a finally block,
because of exceptions, which makes things bloated and slow.

P.S. A borrow checker resolves the use-after-free case, but RC isn't needed if
one is using a borrow checker.