collectNoStack should be axed

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 21 22:23:45 UTC 2024

On 4/21/2024 2:58 PM, Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 22/04/2024 9:55 AM, Brad Roberts wrote:
>> Before github we used dsource.org and subversion:
>>      http://dsource.org/projects/druntime/browser
>>
>> It looks like the history on github retains that history, which
>> matches with my memory of how we transitioned over.  The history seems
>> to start at about 2008.
>>
>> What I'm not seeing is much pre-D2 history.  There's some, but I
>> thought I'd built up a full D1 history, or mostly full -- at least a
>> per-release snapshot.  Did those early release tarball/zips not
>> contain the druntime code maybe?
>>
>> On 4/21/2024 1:58 PM, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> Quite an awesome bit of detective work! A fine and most entertaining
>>> read it is. I recommend you include that text in any PR to fix it.
>>>
>>>  > So maybe, the solution Walter came up with (and I'm just guessing
>>> here), is hey, we are shutting down anyways, just avoid scanning the
>>> main thread stack, and we can satisfy the unwashed masses.
>>>
>>> If I did write that function, I don't remember doing so, or why I
>>> would. Unfortunately, D1 predates our use of github, so it wouldn't
>>> be easy trying to figure out who wrote that.
>
> The oldest version of D that is in the release archive is 0.5, which has
> it.
>
> That is from 17/11/2002
>
> So wayyyyy before dsource.

Ok, the older code is in the phobos repository and goes back to phobos
0.1.  I did that import, and the commit is dated september 9, 2007.  The
exact same history as on dsource.org for phobos, just to double check.
So, that's the best history that Walter was able to dig up for me.

So, it's been there that way from the earliest history I ever saw.