DMD release cadence report 2023

Lance Bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Apr 22 21:21:16 UTC 2024

On Monday, 22 April 2024 at 20:14:34 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
Cattermole wrote:
> On 23/04/2024 7:56 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>> Including the beta and release candidates, this adds up to
>> around 30 releases in the last year:
>> - 5 beta
>> - 13 release candidates
>> - 5 major
>> - 8 point releases.
>>
>> Moving forward for the next 12 months, is keeping at this pace
>> fine? Should it slow down or speed up?
>
> The releases lately have felt far too small.
>
> I'd rather we slowed down, did more point releases and get into
> the habit of using the nightlies (which may not be compiled
> with ldc currently but should be).

I'm not opposed to using the nightlies if Walter's just
implemented new functionality in the compiler. That said, I'd
much rather have more release candidates if we're going to cut
back on releases. One reason is the difficulty of getting help
for a nightly release.