DMD release cadence report 2023

singingbush singingbush at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 23 06:33:59 UTC 2024

On Monday, 22 April 2024 at 19:56:35 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Should it slow down or speed up?
>
> Iain.

Slow down. There's no need for language changes being so
frequent. In fact I see it as a negative. I'd prefer annual
releases that are reliable. I've been burned by new releases
multiple times and the lack of stability is why I have never been
able to use D code for anything significant within the workplace.

By all means keep pushing out regular builds with latest features
but I think D should only release a new language version after
those changes have been used for a while by people that want to
use the latest thing.

Also worth pointing out that language changes effect anyone
working on D tooling, IDE integration, or libraries/frameworks.
I'd be happier with frequent releases if all changes were
supported from day 1 but that's unlikely to ever happen. Things
would be better if D releases were put out at the same time as a
fully compatible language server and grammar file.