collectNoStack should be axed

cc cc at nevernet.com
Tue Apr 23 07:38:25 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 21 April 2024 at 19:28:11 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> If they don't get a printout, they post an angry/confused
> message on the forums saying
>
> ### Y U No work GC?

If a user writes a destructor, and that destructor is never
called sometime after a `new`, then yes, I think "Why isn't the
GC working?" is a valid and fair question for that user to ask.
I don't see any way in which that expectation should be
considered *unreasonable*. If the answer is "No you don't
understand, the GC internals such that this- that- and the other
thing- means you can't have guaranteed destructors", then I'd say
you've failed to make the sale and the customer is right to walk
away.

As an aside, I would observe if one wants them to stay, one
probably shouldn't be in the habit of calling them "the unwashed
masses", either.