Real D

tony tonytdominguez at aol.com
Wed Apr 24 22:37:44 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 13 April 2024 at 13:55:50 UTC, Marconi wrote:
> The fact that C still being used today is a clear sign that all
> language creators failed badly in not seeing the advantages of
> C, focused only on the disadvantages and exaggerated creating
> features that no one cares, creating too much possibilities of
> doing the same thing, getting only learning difficulties.
>
> What D should be?
> C with fat pointers, no header files and a big OO standard
> library.
> That's it. A better C. A new C. 90% C + 5% Cpp + 5% Java.
>
> C++ has the advantage of being compatible, but didn't solve the
> main pointer's problem.
> Java is almost this, but VM was a terrible decision (great only
> for marketing) and GC is good for bad programmers (sorry).
> Dlang displease C/C++ programmers for having GC and didn't get
> any of Java programmers.
>
> It's time to clean Dlang and get all the C/C++/Java programmers
> onboard  of this new clean, simple, fast and easy to use
> programming language.

I don't think you are going to get Java programmers on board
without a really big object-oriented standard library. And if you
remove garbage collection (which they don't mind) you would need
to add in reference counted automatic memory management for them.

But a big problem would be that one thing most D forum users
agree on is that both garbage collection and object-orientation
are bad (so why did they choose D?). That is also a modern C++
programmer belief. But it is not a Java programmer belief. So it
doesn’t seem possible at this point to satisfy D afficionados and
Java programmers due to conflicting beliefs on object-oriented
programming (and garbage collection to a lesser extent).