DMD release cadence report 2023

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Thu Apr 25 05:51:16 UTC 2024

On Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 18:43:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, April 22, 2024 1:56:35 PM MDT Iain Buclaw via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Moving forward for the next 12 months, is keeping at this pace
>> fine? Should it slow down or speed up?
>
> I've been fine with the current cadence. I'd also be fine with
> more frequent major releases. Either way, I wouldn't really
> want it slowed down. It would get particularly annoying with
> stuff like additions to the bindings in druntime, since
> depending on the timing, those can take around two months to
> become available as things have been, and I wouldn't want to
> see that take even longer.

If there are changes that need to land sooner, then said PRs
should target the stable branch which releases are cut from.

I don't have any answers, but if I'm having to explain the
process, maybe something is being done wrong. Or maybe it's just
there is no one actively thinking about which changes should
target which branch when it comes to non-regression fixes.